Yay!! We accomplished so much in this room recently that although I'd normally wait to post before/after photos until the room is at least partially furnished, I am too excited to wait. So, without further ado, here are the first before/after shots of our babies' room.
When we bought the house, this room had been used as the master bedroom, and featured several closets that had been added at various times in the past. We stripped a ton of wallpaper, removed one of these closets, replaced two very rotten windows, and did a lot of floor and wall and molding patching and repair. In addition, we also removed the radiators (long ago) in favor of high-efficiency forced air heating and cooling throughout the house. Note the missing floorboards where the radiator once sat. Here's what it looked like once we had stripped off all the wallpaper and done the majority of the cleaning up:
And how it looks today after a LOT of work!!
The bedroom is now fully complete with the exception of the baseboards which need to be painted once the poly on the floor is fully cured. For the purists out there who notice the absence of the charming bead and batten doors, please note that we removed them but have not disposed of them. They were absolutely coated in lead paint and honestly we just didn't have the courage to stick doors with lead paint on them back into our kids' room. Charming architecture is fine and good, but lead paint poisoning is nothing to play with. If and when we feel comfortable doing so, we can always put back the original doors someday.
There is also an attached full bathroom, semi-visible in the last photo, which as mentioned earlier is still in a state of flux. Even in its current all-white coloration, though, it's a million percent better than the scariness of the original!! Here's the "before" of the bathroom (complete with previous owner's stuff)--YIKES!!